Implementation of Digg Spy in Rails

Based on a comment from an alert reader, I found out that the link was broken in my Ajax Spy in Rails post. Since I couldn’t locate the original zip file on my powerbook, I rewrote it from scratch using Rails 1.2.3 with REST/CRUD and then updated the link at the end of that post. To save you time, you can download the source from here as well. This (and the prior) version simply uses a timer to periodically call back to the server to see if there were any updates, which places an unnecessarily heavy load on your server. A better approach would be to use something like Juggernaut to push updates out to clients. I’m investigating Juggernaut now for use in my Ajax Rails game — I’ll post more once I have a demo.